Background to the Developmental Programme for 2- 3 year olds
The Sure Start Developmental Programme is a programme for children in their pre-preschool year. The programme is government funded through the Department of Education & HSCB.
Who can apply for the programme?
To be considered for the programme a child must meet the following
- Must be registered with LHSS - Please note: being registered with LHSS does not guarantee eligibility for the Developmental Programme for 2 Year Olds.
- Reside within the catchment ward areas covered by LHSS – Creevagh, Foyle Springs 2, Rosemount and Springtown.
- Children who will be 2 years 2 months - child must be born between
- 2nd July 201_ & 1st July 201_
Please note: The above criteria is set regionally and will be used to allocate places.
Little Hands Sure Start has 3 programmes. Two are based in the Rosemount centre and run am/pm and one in the Ringfort centre pm.
Each programme runs 3 days a week and each session runs for 2 ½ hours. The programme runs term time (September to June) and provides a play based learning environment for children.
The Sure Start Developmental Programme for 2-3 year olds may not be suitable for every child, however we have other programmes & services that may be more suitable for you and your child.
Each year Little Hands Sure Start receives more applications, than places are available.
Children attending Sure Start Developmental Programme for 2 -3 year olds must achieve 90% attendance.
Stay & Play
Is an important element and a requirement of the Developmental Programme for 2-3 years where the parent and child come to the session together in the 2 year old environment and to attend educational workshops. The workshops provide an opportunity for parents to meet the wider team within Little Hands Sure Start and to get tips on toileting, dummies and bottles. In the event of a parent being unable to attend we would ask that they arrange for another adult to attend with their child as these sessions must be fully attended. At present 8 to 10 sessions are held within the year for the programme. Parents/Carers are given all the dates in advance of the programme commencing to enable them to plan their attendance if they work etc.
There are four home visits in the year for the programme and these are carried out by the staff in the programme. The first of these visits will be at the end of June, early July as part of the transition process into the programme. This visit will be an opportunity for your child to meet their key worker and to share information on various aspects of the programme. The dates of subsequent visits will be shared in advance by the leaders. Parents/Carers must partake in these meetings.
Speech & Language Support
The communication & language team led by the Speech Therapist work alongside the 2-3 year old programme staff to promote and develop communication. The team join in the sessions and encourage your child to take part in language groups. They can monitor your child’s language development.
Documentation required for verifying
- A copy of the child’s birth certificate (Proof of child’s age).
- Immunisation Record (enables the 2 year old programme leader to carry out a risk assessment for any child not immunised before they commence the programme).
- Proof of residency – this must corresponded with the address supplied.
Return of Expression of Interest forms
All completed expression of interest forms along with the required documentation must be returned to Little Hands Sure Start on or before Friday 10 February 2017 @ 3pm. Please note late applications will not be considered after the closing date so allow sufficient time to complete and return the expression of interest form.
Note: Information on opening of applications will be on our website from January.
Important when completing the expression of interest form to:
- Fully complete all sections of the form
- Provide as much information that you feel is relevant as the panel can only assess on the information provided.
- Sign the expression of interest form.
- Return on or before on the above closing date.
Following receipt of the expression of interest form a member of the Sure Start Team will be in contact by telephone to arrange for a home visit as part of the application process.
If you require any further information please contact the Early Years Services Co-ordinator on 028 71 267524 or on 028 71 267524