Button Batteries

Button batteries and lithium coin batteries are the small, round batteries that are found in lots of toys and everyday objects. They can be extremely dangerous for children if swallowed – especially lithium coin batteries – and can kill within hours. Why are Button batteries Dangerous? Most button batteries pass through the body without a problem. But if a button battery, particularly a lithium coin battery, gets stuck in the throat or gullet, energy from the battery can make the body create caustic soda (the chemical used to unblock drains). This can burn a hole through the throat and lead to serious internal bleeding and death. Lithium coin batteries are the most dangerous as the higher voltage means more energy is released, creating more caustic soda. The reaction can happen in as little as two hours. All button batteries are very dangerous if they get stuck in a child’s ear or nose. Where can you find Button batteries? Button Batteries are used in a wide range of toys, gadgets and other everyday objects you’ll find around the house. Lots of these objects have buttons and surfaces that young children love to explore and play with. Many are brightly coloured or otherwise appealing to children. These include: • Small remote controls • Car key fobs • Calculator • Thermometers • Hearing aids • Digital scales • Musical cards • Novelty toys • Watches • Flameless candles and nightlights Who is at risk? It’s not just babies and toddlers, who put everything in their mouths, who are at risk from button batteries. Older children can be fascinated by them too. In some cases, they may deliberately put a button battery in their mouth or on their tongue to experience the sensation of the electrical charge. Children’s Toys Batteries in children’s toys are covered by safety regulations and should be enclosed by a screw and secure. Toys from markets or temporary ships may not follow safety regulations. Remember that older children may be able to open secure battery compartments. How can I keep Children Safe? • Keep products with batteries well out of reach if the battery compartment isn’t secured with a screw. • Keep all spare batteries out of children’s reach and sight, ideally in a high-up, lockable cupboard. • Avoid toys from markets or temporary shops as they may not conform to safety regulations. • Teach older children that button batteries are dangerous and not to play with them or give them to younger brothers and sisters. • Remember that even used batteries can be dangerous, so recycle them safely. If an accident happens Unfortunately, it may not be obvious that a battery is stuck in a child’s throat. They may be breathing normally, or simply develop cold or flu like symptoms. If you suspect your child has swallowed a button battery, act fast. • Take them straight to the A&E Department of your local hospital or dial 999 for an ambulance. • Tell the Doctor there that you think you child has swallowed a button battery • Do not let your child eat or drink • Do not make them sick • Do not wait to see if symptoms develop Source: Child Accident Prevention Trust